background

Monday, June 23, 2008

Death by soup


Once upon a time, egg drop soup tried to kill me.


and I'm not kidding either.


One day at lunch, I innocently suggested the ole Chinese buffet because while it's not the greatest, there are many worse things in the town that I work. Many worse, or so I thought.


I picked out my sweet and sour chicken, picked the broccoli out of the weird chicken concoction (yes, I'm that girl), the fun crunchies, and decided to get egg drop soup to accompany my meal.


As I am spooning out the soup into my newly acquired soup container, I smell something horrible. horrible. Kind of like being in a port-a-potty in the middle of the desert with someone outside sloshing it around. yeah, that bad.


I figure it was something else, or perhaps the broccoli, because let's face it - even as my favorite veggie sometimes it can smell nasty. Bag up my lunch and head back to work.


Sitting down to eat, I prepare my seat. Napkins, forks, spoon, fortune cookie, soy sauce. And then I open my food and soup. WHOA. There is that smell. Again. I smell the broccoli, thinking in my rational state, that I can get rid of the main part of my meal if necessary and just eat soup. It's not the broccoli, or the sweet and sour chicken, or the crunchies. I lean over the soup and instantaneously I gag, my eyes water, and my stomach clenches up as if to say, "you aren't realllllly going to eat that are you? Surely you are not that cruel."


My stomach had a point. I was NOT going to put that into my body, however, I would share the "joy" with my co-workers. "Smell this - it's gross." And they fell for it. Even though my eyes were in a state of shock, they could see my stomach quivering just thinking about the soup.


I would guess that there was about six nauseated people in the warehouse that day. Not including me.


No comments: